Transfer up to the Grimselpass in the morning. An imponsant alpine landscape with diversity: Reservoirs and power plants surrounded by icy green-gray granite mountains – a balance act for your eyes.
Steep descent to the Aare valley and onwards to Meiringen and the Sherlock Holmes museum. Take a short breather, then at the shore of the Lake of Brienz there is another hill to cross before reaching your stage goal of Iseltwald.
The deep Lake of Brienz, clear, quiet and sombre. The Lake of Thun, shallower, open and lively. In the middle, Interlaken, a trendy tourist and adventure centre, dominated by those icy icons, the Eiger, Mönch & Jungfrau.
Continue with the ship to Thun, the gateway to the Bernese Oberland and from there to the wide Aaretal (Aare Valley): large villages, industry, open fields and a powerful river in lush water meadows. Then follows the entrance to Bern, the capital city of Switzerland and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Bern – Biel
Idyllic trio at Lake Wohlensee: bird paradise, hydroelectric power station and nuclear pile. The Aare leads into the Seeland, a huge vegetable garden thanks to the canal Hagneck.
Behind reeds and woodland you can sense the Lake Biel, cheerful hustle and bustle in bilingual Biel-Bienne.
Biel – Solothurn
"Children" of the Jura water correction: the Nidau-Büren canal and the old water loop in the Häftli. Witi-Altreu, the world of the stork and hare chamber. Continue along the banks of the Aare river until you spot the St. Ursen Tower which marks the baroque town of Solothurn.
Solothurn – Aarau
The so-called "Ambassadorial City" of Solothurn is considered the most beautiful baroque city in Switzerland, where Italian grandeur is combined with French charm and German-Swiss down-to-earthness.
From here always the Aare "naa" (to) - Aarau, capital of the canton of Aargau in the Swiss Midlands (Schweizer Mittelland) , lies on the river Aare, to which the city and canton owe their names.
Departure or Extension
A perfectly signposted, mostly flat cycle route, predominantly on field and forest trails far away from motiorized traffic. Some parts left natural, but most of the tour is done on asphalt roads.
On the first stage there are some passages where you have to push your bike and there are some steep parts as well.
The Aare Route at SwitzerlandMobility
Catergory A: 3* & 4*-Hotels
Catergory B: 3*-Hotel
- 6 overnight stays in the desired accommodation category
- Breakfast buffet
- Daily luggage transport
- Transfer Meiringen – Grimselpass
- Boat ride Interlaken - Thun
- Detailed tour documentation (1 x per room)
- GPS-data available
- 7-day Helpline
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Parking spaces in Meiringen at the Valley station of the cable car Meiringen/Hasliberg, costs CHF 5.- per day resp. 20.- per week, parking cards available in the tourism office or at the train station Meiringen, no reservation possible, payable on location.
- Journey back by train from Aarau via Berne and Interlake to Meiringen. Duration approx. 2.5 hours
Travel documents "analogous"
By default, your travel package includes a set of travel documents, which we will transmit you in advance. The following documents will inform you about your tour:
- Travel program with all organizational details.
- Official guidebook « Cycling Switzerland»
- maps for your biking and/or hiking routes
- Detailed maps about your stage locations
- Detailed programme day-by-day
Travel documents "digital"
If you select the option "digital travel documents" when booking, we will provide you with all documents for your trip in a digital form. You will receive a small set of documents with the following content:
- Manuals for the use of necessary apps
- luggage tags
- eventual vouchers
En route you will inform yourself easily with the app of SwitzerlandMobility and other free apps. Background information and all other documents are electronically assigned and can be downloaded to your mobile phone in advance.
Since this option saves resources and costs, a discount of CHF 30.- per room is offered.