Cycling holidays ViaRhona 2: Lyon - Orange
Rhône Cycle Path II
Arrival in Lyon
Since 1998 Lyon’s old part of town is part of the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage. Mighty churches, about 30 museums and an excellent food serving industry guarantee a delightful stay. One overnight in Lyon.
Lyon – Serrières
Already after just a few kilometres the futuristic museum ‚des Confluences’ appears with its spectacular location on an island at the confluence of the rivers Rhône and Saône. There is a lot of traffic in the cities as well as Lyon. We recommend to go by train to Givor (not incl.)You follow the course of your ‚companion’, the river Rhône and soon you reach Vienne where you will stay tonight with its many remains of an ancient Roman colony. You will be impressed by the temple of Augustus and Livia and by the biggest Roman theatre in Gaul. One overnight in Serrieres.
Serrières – Valence
The beautifully designed cycle path takes you South again, directly along the Rhône riverbank. World renowned grapes are grown in the surroundings of Tournon sur Rhône. We recommend you have your lunch break in one of the charming villages with their medieval village centres and sample at least one glass of the famous ‚Hermitage’. After that you will soon reach the main town of the Drôme-region called Valence. Also called the ‚Northern Gate to Provence’, it will amaze you with its vibrant town centre full of cafés and restaurants. One overnight in Valence.
Valence – Montélimar
Effortlessly you cycle through the fertile Rhône-valley. The temptation for ‚petty larceny of food’ is especially high today, since there are peaches, apples and kiwis growing directly along the route. Nevertheless, make sure you also look up and do not miss high up a once proud castle which has sadly crumbled and turned into a ruin, but still keeps a watchful eye over the valley. In today’s Day Finish Montélimar it is all about ‚nougat’, which is produced here in special quality. Temptations from dawn to dusk... One overnight in Montélimar.
Today’s stage is very short and hence leaves you with lots of time to just enjoy! Several times you switch from one side of the river Rhône to the other side via impressive suspension bridges. Then onwards along the cycle path to the former diocesan town of Viviers. Behind the cathedral dating back to the 12th century you have an amazing view across the Rhône valley. Then it becomes very quiet in the alluvial forests except for the buzzing noise of your spokes. Vibrancy is back after that in Bourg St. Andéol. The old part of town is characterised by picturesque houses dating back to the 16th, 17th and 18th century, situated directly on the river Rhône. One overnight in Bourg-St. Andéol.
On your final stage you casually cycle through glowing yellow sunflower fields, apple orchards and peach plantations, past tomato- and basil fields. The route, you come across the little town of Pont St. Esprit, known for its 600-year old bridge, whose 25 arches stretch impressively across the river Rhône. You will be staying in the town of Orange with its well-known Roman theatre and the city founding arch, both part of the UNESCO-World Cultural Heritage. One overnight in Orange.
Departure or extension
The tour ends after breakfast. Individual return journey.
The terrain is mostly flat and easy to cycle on. The Rhône cycle path is overall well-constructed and a perfect example for signposting and routing.
| Season 1 |
09.04.2023 - 06.05.2023
05.10.2023 - 11.10.2023
| Season 2 |
07.05.2023 - 17.06.2023
14.09.2023 - 04.10.2023
| Season 3 |
18.06.2023 - 13.09.2023
|Rhône Cycle Path 2, 8 days, FR-RORLO-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||385.-||385.-||385.-|
Category: 2*- and 4*-Hotels (French classification)
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or extensive breakfast
- Personal welcome tour briefing (German, English)
- Detailed travel documents, route cards, route description, sight-seeing, telephone numbers (German, English, French)
- At best elaborated route
- Luggage transfer from hotel to hotel
- GPS-tracks available on request
- Rental bike insurance
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Reservation fee of CHF 15 per adult (incl. legally required customer money protection)
- Return transfer by minibus to Lyon every Saturday morning, costs CHF 109.- per person incl. your bike, reservation is necessary
Not included (payable on site)
- Arrival and departure, costs for parking, city tax, transfers, optional sightseeings, city maps, Travel Insurance and costs of individual private requirements.
- Lyon train station Perrache
- Lyon or Marseille airport
- Good train connection to Lyon. Parking garage near the hotel approx. CHF 25.- per day, payable on site, no reservation possible. Return transfer by van to Lyon every Saturday, cost per person CHF 119.- for the return transport of your own bike we charge CHF 25.- extra. Limited space available. Good train connection from Orange to Lyon.
Other important information:
- The distance travelled is approximate and may differ from the actual distance.
- Travel cancellation insurance, including travel interruption insurance is recommended.