Luggage drop-off in Buchs. The hike starts in Vaduz, the capital of Liechtenstein. The River Rhine and the border to Switzerland is crossed at Sevelen. The trail then leads along the foot of the mountain Gonzen through woodlands and meadows, with views over the Rhine Valley.
Sargans – Weisstannen
The wide, steep and remote Weisstannental valley awaits with lovely hamlets such as Vermol and the wonderful Champersee lake. You climb high-level trails on the west flank of the valley towards the stage destination Weisstannen.
Weisstannen – Elm
Milk from neighbouring alps is piped to Alp Siez. On Alpine pastures are followed by a narrow ridge of black slate. The terraced alp huts on the other side of the Foopass are an architectural rarity.
Elm – Linthal
By cable car up to Aempächli. Elm lies in the GeoPark Sardona (UNESCO World-Heritage) where the Glarner main thrust fault clearly reveals the creation of the Alps. Surrounded by rock bastions, the silted-up Wichlensee lake, resembles an amphitheatre. After the steep Richetlipass, the lonely Durnachtal awaits.
Departure or extension
Cozy start, demanding finish. The Via Alpina slowly picks up speed. While at the beginning you are still travelling on easy forest paths, you hike in the Glarnerland on alpine paths. The stages between Weisstannen and Linthal in particular require good basic physical condition and sure-footedness.
The Via Alpina at SwitzerlandMobility
| Season 1 |
09.09.2023 - 24.09.2023
| Season 2 |
01.07.2023 - 08.09.2023
|Via Alpina Ostschweiz, 5 Days, CH-OSWVL-05X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge Single Room||159.-||159.-|
Category: simple middle class hotels & mountain guesthouses
| Season 1 |
Sep 9, 2023 - Sep 24, 2023
| Season 2 |
Jul 1, 2023 - Sep 8, 2023
|Extra night double room (BB)||99.-||99.-|
|Extra night single room (BB)||134.-||134.-|
|Extra night double room (BB)||65.-||65.-|
|Extra night single room (BB)||95.-||95.-|
- Accommodation in your selected category incl. breakfast
- Daily luggage transfer
- Costs for luggage pick-up at the station (for direct arrival)
- Subsidy for arrival by train
- Cable car Elm - Aempächli
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Travel documents (1 x per room)
- Navigation app and GPS data available
- SwitzerlandMobility-Plus subscription for one year
- Service hotline
- Bus ride to Vaduz not included in the price (approx. CHF 6.-)
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Reservation fee of CHF 20.- per adult (incl. legally required customer money protection)
- Arrival by public transport to Buchs. Drop off your luggage at the luggage counter by 10:00 a.m. at the latest.
- Departure by public transport from Linthal.
Travel documents "digital"
We reduce the amount of printed documents. You will receive instructions to help you find your way around using the Eurotrek Travel Guide App. We provide you with further information online.
In advance you will receive a small package of documents with the following contents:
- Your travel program
- Luggage tags
- Description of how to use the app
- Any vouchers
The Eurotrek Travel Guide App will help you find your way around. In addition to your digital map, you will find further information about your booked trip. The app is also available offline, simply download the trip in advance.