The climb to the health resort of Heiden (Henri Dunant Museum) and to Kaienspitz is rewarded by extensive views of the Bodensee and to Alpstein. Then via Rehetobel down to Chastenloch and up to Trogen, a village where provincial assemblies were once held.
Trogen – Appenzell
From Trogen (AR) over two gentle hills with wonderful views of the Säntis, the city of St.Gallen, Bodensee and the undulating Appenzell region, to the wide valley basin of Appenzell with its richly-adorned «citizens' houses».
Appenzell – Urnäsch
The route from the Innerrhoder main town of Appenzell to Gontenbad (with natural moor bathing pool) is level. From there along the «Barfussweg» (barefoot path) to Jakobsbad and through forest and meadows to Urnäsch (AR) famous for its Silvesterkläuse (New Year tradition).
Urnäsch – Schwägalp
Along the small Urnäsch river, across meadows and fields, through dark coniferous forests and past cascading waterfalls up to Schwägalp - bottom station of the aerial cableway to the Säntis with its fantastic summit panorama.
Splendid hike to Lutertannen and over the Risipass vantage point to Stein in Toggenburg. Meadows and Alpine pastures, near-to-nature low-moor marshes and coniferous forests alternate in colourful sequence.
Category: 1 x 4*-hotels (Schwägalp), 5 x 3*-hotels
- 6 overnight stays with breakfast
- Luggage transfer (one piece of luggage per person, 20 kg)
- Carefully elaborated route
- Detailled route instructions
- GPS tracks available
- Service Hotline
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Rides with the public transport on day 6. (approx. CHF 10.- per person)
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Parking close to the railway station Rorschach, CHF 5.- / day, payable on the spot.
- Return travel by train via Biberbrugg and Herisau back to Appenzell. Duration: approx. 2 hours.