Lugage drop-off at Thusis. A spectacular trail leads from Domleschg through the Schinschlucht gorge. The climb to the hamlet of Muldain is rewarded with spectacular views. The Solis viaduct and St. Peters church in Mistail dating from the 8th century form more highlights on this hike.
Tiefencastel – Bergün
The second section leads to one of the highlights of the Via Albula/Bernina, the impressive Landwasser viaduct. Prior to this it runs alongside the foaming Albula river and then on the «Wasserweg ansaina» to a scenic spot for a souvenir photo of the world-famous RhB Rhaetian Railway viaduct.
You then continue past Filisur with its historic village centre. Passing the tanzenden Hexen von Bellaluna (dancing witches of Bellaluna) the trail leads up to the well-kept, historic railway station at Stugl. Finishing point at Bergün with its Engadin houses, a mecca for railway enthusiasts.
Hike through a true masterpiece of engineering. The mountain hike follows the banks of the Albula river and several times crosses the railway line, which along this stretch features the boldest of railway routes. The Bahnerlebnisweg (Railway experience trail) illustrates this 100-year-old railway engineering feat.
Past Preda, the mountain hike leads past the crystal-clear Palpuogna lake, over Weissenstein Alp or Crap Alv up to the Fuorcla Crap Alv (2466 m altitude) and steeply down into Val Bever to the idyllic stage destination of Spinas. From here by train to St. Moritz.
Departure or extension
It is easy to shorten the long legs in the beginning of the trip. If you want to walk everything good stamina is needed. Some of the trails lead over narrow and rocky paths. Surefootedness is needed. Especially for the descend to Val Bever.
The Via Albula/Bernina at SwitzerlandMobility
The Via Albula in Engadin St. Moritz
| Season 1 |
09.09.2023 - 24.09.2023
| Season 2 |
17.06.2023 - 08.09.2023
|Via Albula & Bernina North, 4 days, CH-GRWTS-04X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge Single Room||175.-||175.-|
Category: 3* hotels
| Season 1 |
Sep 9, 2023 - Sep 24, 2023
| Season 2 |
Jun 17, 2023 - Sep 8, 2023
|Extra night double room (BB)||105.-||105.-|
|Extra night single room (BB)||155.-||155.-|
|Extra night double room (BB)||89.-||89.-|
|Extra night single room (BB)||139.-||139.-|
- Accommodation as mentioned incl. Breakfast
- Daily luggage transfer
- Costs for luggage pick-up at the station (for direct arrival)
- Subsidy for arrival by train
- Railway pass Thusis – Tirano 2. class (valid for all regular train connections along the way)
- Entrance to the Albula museum in Bergün
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Travel documents (1 x per room)
- Navigation app and GPS data available
- SwitzerlandMobility-Plus subscription for one year
- Service hotline
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Reservation fee of CHF 20.- per adult (incl. legally required customer money protection)
- Arrival by public transport to Thusis. For direct arrival: Luggage must be handed in at the luggage counter by 10:00 a.m. at the latest.
- Departure by public transport from St. Moritz.
Travel documents "digital"
We reduce the amount of printed documents. You will receive instructions to help you find your way around using the Eurotrek Travel Guide App. We provide you with further information online.
In advance you will receive a small package of documents with the following contents:
- Your travel program
- Luggage tags
- Description of how to use the app
- Any vouchers
The Eurotrek Travel Guide App will help you find your way around. In addition to your digital map, you will find further information about your booked trip. The app is also available offline, simply download the trip in advance.