Hiking holidays Via Francigena 9 days
Hiking: Via Francigena
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival to Martigny
Martigny – Orsières
By train to Martigny. This stage marks the end of the climb to the Grossen Sankt Bernhard-Pass. From Martigny a steep path leads over the narrow Les Trappistes pass to the medieval village of Sembrancher. From here the route follows the Napoleon-Weg.
This stage leads first along a forest path, first west then east of the river, on the historic path from Liddes to the small Notre-Dame-de-Lorette Chapel before Bourg-Saint-Pierre.
Undoubtedly the most symbolic stage on the Via Francigena! The way to the pass leads along a road which has served the whole of Europe for 2'000 years. Countless archaeological sites line the ascent, above all in L’Hospitalet and on the Barasson-Pass.
The descent to the Aosta Valley begins immediately after the pass. A pilgrim's path leads down the valley flank to Italy and takes you to the small village of St. Rhémy. Shortly afterwards the roofs of the villages Étroubles and Echevennoz come into sight.
Étroubles – Aosta
Old irrigation canals called "Rus" lie along your way today. In addition to the flat passages along these canals, steep descents await you today. In Roman times, Aosta was a flourishing trading town. Today, the village is famous for its alpine experiences.
Departure or extension
Good stamina is needed in the beginning of the trip, surefootedness in the end. From the shores of Lake Geneva Via Francigena leads towards the peaks of the Alps of Valais. The walk up to Col du Gd St-Bernard and the descend down into Aosta valley are the highlights of this walking tour.
The Via Francigena at SwitzerlandMobility
| Season 1 |
09.09.2023 - 24.09.2023
| Season 2 |
17.06.2023 - 08.09.2023
|Via Francigena South, 7 days, CH-WSWMA-07X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge Single Room||275.-||275.-|
Category: Middle class hotels and mountain inns
| Season 1 |
Sep 9, 2023 - Sep 24, 2023
| Season 2 |
Jun 17, 2023 - Sep 8, 2023
|Extra night double room (BB)||95.-||95.-|
|Extra night single room (BB)||135.-||135.-|
|Extra night double room (BB)||75.-||75.-|
|Extra night single room (BB)||110.-||110.-|
- overnight stays according to the itinerary incl. Breakfast
- Daily luggage transfers
- Pilger pass
- Costs for luggage pick-up at the station (for direct arrival and departure)
- Subsidy for arrival by train
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Travel documents (1 x per room) incl. SwitzerlandMobility Plus subscription
- Service hotline
- Train ride St. Maurice – Martigny not included, approx. CHF 7.- per person.
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Reservation fee of CHF 15 per adult (incl. legally required customer money protection)
- Arrival by public transport to Martigny. Suitcases willmust be returned to the luggage counter by 10:00 a.m. at the latest.
- Departure by Flixbus to Geneva. (3 hours, several connections daily, www.flixbus.ch)
Travel documents "digital”
In future we will reduce the amount of printed documents. You will receive instructions to help you find your way around using the SwitzerlandMobility app. We will provide you with further information online. In advance you will receive a small package of documents with the following contents:
- Description of how to use the necessary apps
- Detailed programme for the individual stages
- Annual subscription to SwitzerlandMobility Plus
- Luggage tags
- Any vouchers
On the way, you can easily find your way with the SwitzerlandMobility app and other freely accessible aids. Background information and all other documents are delivered electronically and can be downloaded to your mobile phone in advance.