Arrival to Basel
Basel – Aarau
Basel, Liestal and the Ergolztal: a bustling, self-confident agglomeration. In contrast: tranquility and charming countryside in the Baselbiet Jura. On through Aargau's Jurapark hills, followed by a racy descent down the southern Jura slopes to Aarau.
Aarau – Luzern
From Aarau the way leads to the idyllic Suhrental river valley; with views of the Alps spotted south and Jura chain north. Through rich orchards and fertile fields alongside Lake Sempach, this stage finally takes you to Lucerne.
Luzern – Amsteg
Lake Lucerne is one of Switzerland’s largest and most beautiful lakes. Its many arms link the Mittelland and Alps. When the fierce Föhn wind blows, the lake reveals its wilder side! The Urnerland, an incessant, nervously pulsating transit corridor.
Amsteg – Gotthardpass
The trip continues through the canton of Uri where the wild Reuss plunges down through the Schöllenenschlucht (gorge), subdued only by sheer mountain walls and the Teufelsbrücke (Devil’s Bridge). If by horse, by train or by car. Everyone always wanted and still wants to cross the Gotthard southwards.
The Leventina has been a transit corridor since ancient times. The further south, the milder the climate. An easy ride along the waters of the Ticino, soon passing chestnut trees and vineyards. Bellinzona, called «La Turrita» because of its many castles.
Bellinzona – Lugano
You cycle to Cadenazzo and take the train up to Rivera Bironico. From Monte Ceneri a clear view of the Piano di Magadino vegetable fields and Lago Maggiore. Lago di Lugano s’ picture-postcard beauty marks the end of this tour.
Departure or extension
Challenging in the beginning in the hills of Jura and smooth during the ride through the Mittelland and past Lake Lucerne. Uphill from Amsteg towards the pass and downhill over the cobblestones of Tremola road. Some traffic around the urban centres.
The North-South Route at SwitzerlandMobility
| Season 1 |
09.09.2023 - 24.09.2023
| Season 2 |
17.06.2023 - 08.09.2023
|North-South-Route Basel - Lugano, 8 days, CH-TSRBL-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge Single Room||415.-||415.-|
Category: 3*-hotels, hospice on Gotthardpass
| Season 1 |
Sep 9, 2023 - Sep 24, 2023
| Season 2 |
Jun 17, 2023 - Sep 8, 2023
|Extra night double room (BB)||95.-||95.-|
|Extra night single room (BB)||130.-||130.-|
|Extra night double room (BB)||109.-||109.-|
|Extra night single room (BB)||189.-||189.-|
- Oovernight stays according to the program incl. breakfast
- Daily luggage transfers
- Ticino Ticket with numerous inclusive services and discounts (upon request at the hotel)
- Boat ride Beckenried – Flüelen (bicycle included)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Travel documents (1 x per room) incl. SwitzerlandMobility Plus subscription
- Service hotline
- Rides with the public transport during the tour (Göschenen – Andermatt, Cadenazzo – Rivera-Bironico)
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Reservation fee of CHF 15 per adult (incl. legally required customer money protection)
- Travel by public transport to Basel. Suitcases to be handed over at the luggage counter by 10:00 a.m. at the latest.
- Departure by public transport from Lugano. Suitcases will be returned to the luggage counter by 05:00 p.m. at the latest.
Other important information:
- The distance travelled is approximate and may differ from the actual distance.
- Travel cancellation insurance, including travel interruption insurance is recommended.
Travel documents "digital”
In future we will reduce the amount of printed documents. You will receive instructions to help you find your way around using the SwitzerlandMobility app. We will provide you with further information online. In advance you will receive a small package of documents with the following contents:
- Description of how to use the necessary apps
- Detailed programme for the individual stages
- Annual subscription to SwitzerlandMobility Plus
- Luggage tags
- Any vouchers
On the way, you can easily find your way with the SwitzerlandMobility app and other freely accessible aids. Background information and all other documents are delivered electronically and can be downloaded to your mobile phone in advance.
Let us know if you don't want to do without maps. We will send them to you free of charge.