Arrival at Alberobello
Alberobello is part of the UNESCO world cultural heritage.
Bicycle tour through the valley Valle d’Itria, which belongs to one of the most beautiful cultured landscapes of the south. Stopover in the known wine-growing town Locorotondo for tasting the local white wine (not included). Via Cisternino to the next stop Ostuni, the “white town” with beautiful view to the Sea.
From Ostuni you cycle through olive groves, vineyards and fruit orchards to Avetrana, one of most historic small towns along the old Via Appia. This old roman road lead from Rome, via Taranto and Oria to Brindisi in former times. Today only a few parts are still preserved as Via Appia Antica.
You leave Avetrana and after a short while you reach the sea. After a detour to the “Torre Colimena” you continue along the coastal road with its numerous defence towers to Porto Cesareo. Your tour brings you along the Ionian coast to Gallipoli.
This “Kale Polis” (beautiful town) of Greek origin is a real urban surprise on the Ionian Sea. Like an impregnable fortress Old-Gallipoli sits on the very top of a peninsula, stretching far into the sea. Discover a maze of small streets and thoroughfares in this town, where also a number of churches and an ancient museum wait for your visit. Very interesting to see also the omnipresent fishermen, thus completing the scenery of a town, that belonged to Europe’s most important exporter of lamp-oil in the 17th and 18th century.
Today we reach the southernmost point of the Salento and the watershed to the Ionian Sea at Santa Maria di Leuca. Being a well-known place of pilgrimage the church is quite famous. Around the centennial a number of villas were built, which form an interesting architectonic highlight because of their absurd and fantastic stiles. Here eccentric “fin-de-siècle” lovers settled, to enjoy the remoteness of this area.
The next part of our tour follows the southern coast of the Adriatic Sea unto the Messapian town Otranto. This place has a reputation of being an art-historical jewel in between a lovely landscape. The old town is surrounded by a mighty wall, remarkable here the castle Habsburg. On the way to Otranto you can visit the famous Grotta Zinzulusa – the only one of a number of coastal grottos, which is open to public. Also an interesting stop-over forms the thermal resort Santa Cesarea, known for hydro-therapeutics and radioactive moor therapeutics.
Further on you follow the Adriatic coast; through uncountable olive-groves you reach Lecce. Should you wish to take a break, we can recommend the bay of Torre dell’Orso, enclosed by steep limestone rock walls. Lecce, the capital of the Salento, is a picturesque town, overwhelming with the beauty of buildings and churches. Next to Naples, Lecce is a baroque metropolis of the South, even creating the own terminus of “Lecce-Baroque”. Here about 30 churches and an uncountable number of palaces are waiting to be discovered. Not to forget the amphitheatre and the roman theatre, both constructed under Caesar Augustus, and worth a visit.
Departure or extension
Mostly this tour is following flat, asphalt side roads, apart from some slightly hilly parts. As Apulia is not a transit country and you travel outside of the high season, the streets almost are free from traffic.
Category: 3*** and 4**** hotels or Agriturismo
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Best elaborated route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, Italian with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- GPS-data available
- Service hotline
- Transfers by minibus daily: reservation is necessary, payable in advance, min. 2 persons:
- Monopoli train station – Alberobello, CHF 29.- per person
- Bari/Brindisi airport/train station – Alberobello, CHF 49.- per person
- Lecce – Bari airport, CHF 115.- per person; booking from 4 persons costs CHF 59.- per person
- Lecce – Brindisi airport, CHF 49.- per person
- Lecce – Alberobello, CHF 69.- per person
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Monopoli, Brindisi and Bari train station
- Bari or Brindisi airport
- Car park at the hotel, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!